Best Potato Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional all-purpose flour
- Place potato and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until very tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Mash potatoes (without added milk or butter); set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, 4 cups flour, potatoes and reserved cooking liquid; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle lightly with additional flour. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 111 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2017
I only gave this recipe 2 stars because of the instructions. This is not for a beginner bread maker. The amount of water is unclear. The amount of flour is unclear. If I wasn't an experienced bread maker, I would have been in trouble. Instructions should be more clear and specific. 4 cups of flour VS 6-7 cups. Drain potatoes reserving only 1/2 cup. But the recipe calls for the reserve water twice. Second rising time 3 minutes? confusing. Sorry.
Apr 29, 2017
omg im so glad i try this recipe cause it worth it i absolute love it sp yummy so thankyou to the owner of this recipe now i don't have to buy one again love love love it
Apr 29, 2015
I make this famous potato bread for my son all the time and now he's a nerd ( ?? ?? ??)
Apr 29, 2015
Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread ( ?? ?? ??)
Apr 29, 2015
Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread? ( ?? ?? ??)
Mar 18, 2015
I love this bread! It is so soft and good. I tried it with red potatoes the second time and it didn't turn out as well. I think the starchiness of the russet potatoes works wonders.
Aug 30, 2011
This bread was delicious! I mixed it up ain my bread machine and then baked it in my oven! Very tender!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.