Best Potato Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional all-purpose flour
- Place potato and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until very tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Mash potatoes (without added milk or butter); set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, 4 cups flour, potatoes and reserved cooking liquid; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle lightly with additional flour. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 111 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2017
I only gave this recipe 2 stars because of the instructions. This is not for a beginner bread maker. The amount of water is unclear. The amount of flour is unclear. If I wasn't an experienced bread maker, I would have been in trouble. Instructions should be more clear and specific. 4 cups of flour VS 6-7 cups. Drain potatoes reserving only 1/2 cup. But the recipe calls for the reserve water twice. Second rising time 3 minutes? confusing. Sorry.
Apr 29, 2017
omg im so glad i try this recipe cause it worth it i absolute love it sp yummy so thankyou to the owner of this recipe now i don't have to buy one again love love love it
Apr 29, 2015
I make this famous potato bread for my son all the time and now he's a nerd ( ?? ?? ??)
Apr 29, 2015
Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread ( ?? ?? ??)
Apr 29, 2015
Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread? ( ?? ?? ??)
Mar 18, 2015
I love this bread! It is so soft and good. I tried it with red potatoes the second time and it didn't turn out as well. I think the starchiness of the russet potatoes works wonders.
Aug 30, 2011
This bread was delicious! I mixed it up ain my bread machine and then baked it in my oven! Very tender!