Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds) with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 pounds small potatoes (10-15), peeled
- 8 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking juices from corned beef
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- MUSTARD SAUCE (optional):
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, just until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. (If pot is full, remove potatoes and carrots before adding cabbage; reheat before serving.)
- Add cabbage to pot; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and corned beef; keep warm.
- For Horseradish Sauce, strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Discard remaining juices. Prepare sauces as desired.
- Cut beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables, Horseradish Sauce and, if desired, Mustard Sauce.
- Horseradish Sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup reserved juices. Stir in sugar, vinegar and horseradish; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. If desired, thin with additional juices. Season to taste with additional sugar, vinegar or horseradish.
- Mustard Sauce: Mix all ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (with horseradish sauce): 564 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 1616mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 19, 2018
Big hit, even with the picky eaters! I am pleasantly surprised!
Mar 12, 2018
This Corned Beef Recipe was amazing!!!! Best ever...rave reviews from everyone!
Mar 9, 2018
Exactly how I've always made mine, although I cook my cabbage about a half hour longer and before the potatoes and carrots. I like a softer cabbage. I also add turnip or rutabaga. Delicious!
Mar 28, 2017
Great recipe! Both sauces were great. I will definitely make it again!!
Mar 13, 2017
Mar 12, 2017
I use this recipe for timing reference when I make corned beef in my Dutch oven. It works perfectly every time. I substitute the spices listed in the "easy corned beef" recipe which utilizes the crock pot. Both recipes make my st pattys day a delicious success every time..no matter which method of cooking I choose.
Apr 7, 2016
My beef did not come with a spice packet either, so I used a traditional Irish spiced beef blend. This dish had great flavor and the beef was very tender. The sour cream and mustard sauce was a very fresh addition that balanced the dish.
Mar 17, 2016
This was the most tender corned beef I have ever eaten. I used a bag of baby carrots and red potatoes quartered. My boys gave it a hearty thumbs up.
Mar 17, 2015
Really really good. I make corned beef and cabbage every year, and this was by far the best St. Patty's Day meal I've ever made. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 15, 2015
The name says it all my "Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe". Thank you for that.