Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepared horseradish
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
- Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 3/4 cup vegetables (calculated without horseradish): 374 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 1256mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 17, 2019
This was excellent! A traditional St. Patty's Day dinner. I didn't cook this in my slow cooker though. I used my cast iron dutch oven (oven at 300 degrees for 4 hours.) My slow cooker boils on the LOWEST setting, making any meat tough. My guess the few bad reviews claiming 'tough brisket' is their slow cooker, not the recipe.
Mar 20, 2017
The meat was tough except the little bit that was enveloped in the fat itself. I am cooking it more immersed in the broth with the top fat cut off, since it is almost 10 1/2 hours with this result - as the meat tastes a bit better with the broth over it (normally I would cool the broth and skim off the fat before serving). I added some leeks. I think I will try a different recipe next time.
Mar 18, 2016
Excellent and easy recipe. Only cooked for 7 hours instead of 8-10. Very moist and had great flavors. Only way to cook your corned beef and cabbage.
Mar 16, 2016
I am not a beer drinker, so I had to search out a single can or bottle of Guinness. I was not able to find it, so I substituted it with a micro brew super dark ale-I believe it was called Irish Death or something, and was a black and foamy beer like Guinness. Anyway, it really flavored this nicely! (and it was not dry at all!)
Jan 26, 2016
Loved this recipe.
Mar 17, 2015
Have made this for two years running on St. Paddy's Day and it's the best! Throw ingredients in the crockpot in the AM, add the cabbage when we get home and eat after enjoying a pre-dinner Guinness. Erin go Bragh!
Mar 17, 2015
Delish!!! Will make every year!
Feb 23, 2015
I'm not a big fan of corned beef and cabbage but when I was asked to make one for a party I tried this one. It was a huge hit. I made it the day before, packed it up and reheated it at the party. It tasted better the next day so I'll plan to do that from now on.
Mar 19, 2014
Excellent flavor, so tender and juicy. I'll make it again and again. I did use beef broth and beer to cook it in, the meat was beautiful. My roast was 5 lbs and I cooked it for 8 hours, perfection.
Mar 18, 2014
the meat WAS tough but the dish was very flavorful. ten hours was a lot of time for such little return. will stick with oven method next time.