Glazed Corned Beef and Cabbage
My mother was a wonderful cook who inspired me to experiment with recipes. This unique recipe features a Dijon mustard glaze on the corned beef, and a tangy horseradish sauce with the cabbage and red potatoes. The meal receives raves every time I serve it.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- DIJON GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place brisket and contents of spice packet in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Place cabbage and potatoes in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 25-30 minutes or until tender, adding more water to pan if necessary.
- Transfer the brisket to a broiler pan. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over beef. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until beef is glazed. Thinly slice across the grain.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted. Drizzle over cabbage and potatoes.
Originally published as Dijon Glazed Corned Beef & Savory Cabbage with Red in Country Extra March 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.