Glazed Corned Beef
Total TimePrep: 3 hours Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Place corned beef and contents of seasoning packet in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Add onion and celery; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Drain and discard liquid and vegetables. Place beef on a greased rack in a shallow roasting pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Brush over beef.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Mar 21, 2018
This is an absolutely delicious recipe for corned beef. I was hoping to have some leftover for sandwiches, but that was not to be. It was easy to prepare and the glaze gave it a nice kick. Everyone loved it and kept coming back for more. Instead of ketchup, I used korean bbq sauce along with the rest of the ingredients in the recipe.
Dec 31, 2017
Very Good... will make again!
Mar 20, 2016
This was fabulous! Served it for St. Patrick's Day meal, and everyone raved about it. The corned beef was cooked in the crock pot on low for 6-7 hours and then I cooked potatoes, carrots, and cabbage in the liquid while the glazed meat was in the oven. Will definitely make this again!
Oct 22, 2015
Wonderful flavours! My new favourite corned beef recipe. There was way too much glaze so would halve amounts next time and reduce sugar further as was very sweet. I cooked the beef in the slow cooker for 8 hours then finished in oven as instructed, basting over the 25 minutes. We all gave this 10/10. Loved it. Thanks for a great recipe.
Mar 23, 2015
I made this minus the horseradish because another reviewer stated it was good without it but my family disagreed. Nobody liked this at all. The cooking method was great but the glaze was all wrong. I cannot vouch for how it is with the horse radish though.
Mar 17, 2015
The sauce is great ... I basted it over the top a few times during the 25 min in the oven
Mar 17, 2015
My absolute favorite way to cook corned beef. Have been coming back to this recipe for years!!
Nov 6, 2014
My son was not going to try this because corned beef sounded gross to him. I convinced him to try it and he loved it! My husband also loved it.
Apr 7, 2014
This glaze is the best! My family has expected me to make this dish every St Patrick's Day since the recipe was published 12 years ago. I found that flat cut is the best cut of corned beef, point cut is too tough.
Mar 15, 2014
Made this corn beef in the am and made the sandwiches from Taste of Home for dinner. All was delish!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.