Ham ‘n’ Swiss with a Twist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of Texas toast. Place slices, buttered side down, on a griddle. Spread with mustard; layer with ham, apple, onion and cheese. Top with another slice of toast, buttered side up. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn; cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 510 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1414mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2012
This has a very good flavor combination, better than plain old hot ham & cheese sandwiches. Other than turning them over without losing the filling, they're really easy to make. I think I'll try Marietta Slater's tip next time and use a thinner bread. The Texas toast made such a tall sandwich that the first side cooled off while browning the second side. Maybe my griddle heat was too low. I was afraid of burning them if I turned it up.
Dec 14, 2011
I loved this sandwich. I used sweet onion and cooked until really carmelized. I also used Braeburn apples...Delicious.