Ham with Mixed Fruit
Apple pie filling and fruit cocktail are combined with a little brown sugar to create a sweet chunky sauce that nicely complements ham steaks. "I make this often for birthdays, and it's delicious," she assures. "It can be reheated, but I never have leftovers. "For easy cleanup, I sometimes place the ham on a large piece of heavy-duty foil, put the fruit mixture on top, then pull up the corners of the foil and twist them to form a bundle," she explains. "I pop it in the oven to bake, and when it's done, there's no pan to wash."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fully cooked bone-in ham steak, cut into serving-size portions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) fruit cocktail, drained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook ham in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the pie filling, fruit cocktail, brown sugar and butter. Cook until heated through, stirring twice. Serve with ham.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 429 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1621mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Ham With Mixed Fruit in Quick Cooking March/April 2005