Vegetarian Egg Strata
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French bread, cubed
- 2 packages (5.3 ounces each) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1-3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer.
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half the bread cubes, zucchini mixture, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 281 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
This was a hit at a holiday brunch. I used 12 oz. of bread instead of the whole pound, based on previous reviews. Next time I would increase the veggies, and use slightly less goat cheese (maybe two 4-oz. packages), for better veg/cheese balance. It was still delicious - 4 stars as written, 5 with minor modifications.
May 2, 2011
I made this for Easter brunch and it was wonderful. Not too rich but still tasted special with the goat cheese. I made it the night before and baked it the day of.
Jan 16, 2011
I made this recipe this morning and it is delicious! My 16 month old grand-daughter cleaned her plate!
Oct 16, 2010
This was absolutely delicious! I made it exactly according to the recipe although I did use about 25% less bread (following the previous reviewers suggestion) so the veggies were more the central ingredients. It turned out wonderful and is definitely a keeper!
Oct 13, 2010
This was yummy, although next time I would at least double, maybe even triple the veggies, or else cut back on the bread and cheese. It was very heavy. Great flavor, though!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.