Vegetarian Egg Strata
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French bread, cubed
- 2 packages (5.3 ounces each) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1-3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer.
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half the bread cubes, zucchini mixture, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 281 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
This was a hit at a holiday brunch. I used 12 oz. of bread instead of the whole pound, based on previous reviews. Next time I would increase the veggies, and use slightly less goat cheese (maybe two 4-oz. packages), for better veg/cheese balance. It was still delicious - 4 stars as written, 5 with minor modifications.
May 2, 2011
I made this for Easter brunch and it was wonderful. Not too rich but still tasted special with the goat cheese. I made it the night before and baked it the day of.
Jan 16, 2011
I made this recipe this morning and it is delicious! My 16 month old grand-daughter cleaned her plate!
Oct 16, 2010
This was absolutely delicious! I made it exactly according to the recipe although I did use about 25% less bread (following the previous reviewers suggestion) so the veggies were more the central ingredients. It turned out wonderful and is definitely a keeper!
Oct 13, 2010
This was yummy, although next time I would at least double, maybe even triple the veggies, or else cut back on the bread and cheese. It was very heavy. Great flavor, though!