Overnight Asparagus Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Arrange six English muffin halves in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut side up. Trim remaining muffin halves to fill spaces. Layer with 1 cup cheese, asparagus, ham and red pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 318 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 255mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2018
Has anyone successfully frozen this for a week before cooking?
Feb 27, 2016
I made this for a get together with friends we had not seen recently. It was a big hit. Not only was it delicious it is pretty with the green asparagus and red pepper. I did use chicken in place of the ham as our guests do not eat pork. Very good.
Feb 21, 2016
This goes right into my recipe file -- loved it. Missed the direction to toast the English muffins and will never bother doing it in the future - not needed. I also let the egg mixture sit on the English muffins only 1 hour and it was fine - would not have known it had English muffins in it. BTW - used total of 4 English Muffins. I put onions and garlic in most everything, so I boiled the asparagus on the stove with some salt and Mrs. Dash, emptied the pan and then chopped the red pepper, some red onion and 3 garlic cloves and sauted a few minutes in a bit of butter in the pan the asparagus had been in. With the added onions I decided to up the eggs to 12 instead of 8, and my 2 c milk mixture included a bit of whipped cream (leftover from another recipe). I really liked the egg to bread to fixin's ratio so would do it the same again (I did include ham in it). I also used up a bit of sharp cheddar cheese in with the Monterray Jack and thus had a little more cheese than the recipe called for but I figured was justified with the 4 extra eggs. It was wonderful and my guest requested the recipe.
May 21, 2015
This is going to be one of my go-to breakfast recipes. I tried it for the first time this week, and there were no leftovers, much to my disappointment. I did as someone suggested and microwaved the asparagus (cut into pieces first), and also used pepper jack cheese for a kick. I never imagined asparagus would make such a great breakfast dish. When asparagus isn't in season, I think I'll try it with broccoli.
May 19, 2015
Delicious breakfast meal! Try it with Hollandaise sauce!
Dec 9, 2014
I increased the ham to 1 lb. and I covered the bottom of the dish with toasted and buttered muffins. Doubled the recipe and made 2 dishes and I served 16 for lunch with many positive comments. I covered with foil for half the baking time.
Sep 11, 2014
I made this recipe gluten free. I used a gluten-free French bread type of baguette and cut it into fairly thin slices. This gluten-free bread is buttery tasting and added to the . flavor. It was very light tasting. I found the whole recipe bland tasting but very good. So next time I would use sharp cheddar cheese for the cheese in the recipe.
Mar 27, 2014
Great recipe! I have made this often since it was first published. My family enjoys it for a light supper. A keeper!
Aug 9, 2013
Wonderful blend of flavors! I made this for a potluck and it was very well received. Leftovers are ok, definitely not as good as fresh out of the oven. I will definitely make this again and maybe experiment with the ingredients for a new flavor combination. Thanks for an easy, very tasty recipe!
Jun 30, 2013
I enjoyed everything about this recipe. The convenience of preparing it all the night before and just sprinkling a little cheese on top and baking it in the morning. Amazing eye appeal. The flavor combination was perfect. A very filling and satisying breakfast.