Asparagus Ham Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 12 slices white bread
- 12 ounces Velveeta, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut 12 circles and holes from bread; set aside. Tear remaining bread in pieces and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Layer with cheese, asparagus and ham; arrange bread circles and holes on top. Lightly beat eggs with milk. Add onion, salt and mustard; mix well. Pour egg mixture over bread circles and holes. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° until top is light golden brown, 55 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 420 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 211mg cholesterol, 1427mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 15, 2019
cwidomski I believe the red is ham.
Nov 18, 2018
The picture shows Red Pepper (or pimento?) in the mix which is not stated in the recipe at all. Any guesses?
Feb 14, 2018
Could you freeze leftovers?
Dec 2, 2013
Made this Thanksgiving for the family breakfast. Easy, yummy, and filling! For Christmas morning, I will be using cooked sausage in place of the ham.
Nov 19, 2008
Made this dish last weekend and received rave reviews. It's so simple too. I threw in sauteed leeks instead of the onions and added some specialty mustard in addition to the ground mustard. My guests thought the bread circles were biscuits because they puffed up so nicely. It's a keeper in my recipe file. Try it too.