Sausage and Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 10, 2019
Is there a sub for ground mustard
Nov 4, 2019
This breakfast casserole was wonderful! I stirred it up and baked it the same morning, which worked just fine. I also used 1 cup of milk instead of 2 and added fresh chives. I'll definitely be making this again!
Oct 5, 2019
Two cups of milk for only six eggs seems excessive. I'd cut it to one cup so I could taste the eggs. And if breakfast sausage is used, the 1t of salt can almost be eliminated.
Jul 27, 2019
This is my favorite of the overnight casseroles. I substituted potato bread slices, but otherwise followed exactly.
May 22, 2019
I like that you can prepare this ahead of time. I added diced red pepper and green onions for a little color and spice, and it was great.
Apr 27, 2019
I found this to be too bland.
Apr 17, 2019
One of our family's favorite recipes! I frequently substitute 2 cups cubed ham when I have leftover ham. Our family actually prefers it that way.
Oct 5, 2018
Used trader joes gluten free bread and it turned out amazing. I mixed up the eggs and cut up bread then had them soaking while I cooked up the sausage then in the oven it went. Exactly 40 mins was perfection. I added fresh herbs from the garden, some garlic powder and a garlic clove while cooking the sausage. This is an amazing base recipe!
Jun 24, 2018
2 stars because the serving sizes are so ridiculously small.
May 16, 2018
This recipe is great for a crowd when you don't want to be standing at the stove or waiting on the toaster. It was simple to make and prep ahead of time. It tasted great and was easy to serve.