Grits & Bacon Casserole
A Mississippi home cook gave me her recipe for grits casserole. It baked like traditional custard. I garnish it with parsley, crumbled bacon and cheese. —Theresa Liguori, Elkridge, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 8 large eggs
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring water, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Pour grits into a greased 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs; pour over grits. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
- Place casserole in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Place casserole in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.