Sausage and Eggs over Cheddar-Parmesan Grits
These creamy grits topped with Italian sausage, peppers, onions and a fried egg are total comfort food and perfect for brunch or dinner. They are easy to put together and will satisfy a hungry crew. —Debbie Glasscock, Conway, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, yellow pepper and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, cream, salt and pepper; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into pan; reduce heat to low. Cook until whites are set and yolks begin to thicken, turning once if desired. Divide grits among 6 serving bowls; top with sausage mixture and eggs. If desired, serve with pepper sauce.
Test Kitchen Tip
For an added flavor boost, replace the water with chicken or vegetable broth.