Sausage and Eggs over Cheddar-Parmesan Grits
These creamy grits topped with Italian sausage, peppers, onions and a fried egg are total comfort food and perfect for brunch or dinner. They are easy to put together and will satisfy a hungry crew. —Debbie Glasscock, Conway, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, yellow pepper and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, cream, salt and pepper; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into pan; reduce heat to low. Cook until whites are set and yolks begin to thicken, turning once if desired. Divide grits among 6 serving bowls; top with sausage mixture and eggs. If desired, serve with pepper sauce.
Test Kitchen Tip
For an added flavor boost, replace the water with chicken or vegetable broth.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 538 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 253mg cholesterol, 972mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 14, 2020
The recipe sounds great - just not too sure about dirtying three pots.
Aug 23, 2019
Made this on a camping trip. But, we had it for breakfast and it was a hit! When fall arrives, this will be made for dinner!