Cheese ‘n’ Grits Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in milk, butter and eggs. Stir in cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 202 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
May 7, 2015
This was the first time I made cheese grits. WOW what a great recipe--
Oct 1, 2011
These grits were so very flavorful, and the best part was I didn't have to stand at the stove and stir them as long as the cheesy grits recipe I normally use. My grits were a bit soupy even after letting them stand for 10 minutes, but I was using a Pampered Chef stone baking dish, so maybe it needed to cool longer. Next time I'll just use a glass dish.
Mar 24, 2009
I sprinkled some extra cheese on top...yum! I used sharp cheddar.