Chorizo & Grits Breakfast Bowls
Growing up, I bonded with my dad over chorizo and eggs. My fresh approach combines them with grits and black beans. Add a spoonful of pico de gallo for extra pop. —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chorizo chicken sausages or flavor of choice, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Optional: Pico de gallo and chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes longer. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cheese until blended. Remove from heat.
- Wipe skillet clean; coat with cooking spray and place over medium heat. In batches, break 1 egg at a time into pan. Immediately reduce heat to low; cook until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide grits mixture among 6 bowls. Top with chorizo mixture, eggs and, if desired, pico de gallo and cilantro.
Health Tip: Pulses like black beans are part of the legume family and a rich source of iron, which helps transport oxygen to muscles.