Spring Onion Pimiento Cheese Grits
Grits were a breakfast staple when I was growing up. Even today, we still have them about three times a week. The trick with grits is the more you whisk, the creamier they'll be. —Melissa Pelkey Hass, Waleska, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked stone-ground yellow grits
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare grits according to package directions. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, using a mixer, beat cream cheese. Add mayonnaise; continue beating until creamy. Add next five ingredients, mixing until well blended.
- Stir butter and pimiento cheese mixture into the warm grits; season to taste. Mix well.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 281 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Spring Onion & Monterrey Jack Pimento Cheese Grits in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.