Cheddar Seafood Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, orange pepper and onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, seafood seasoning and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add shrimp and scallops; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish each serving with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 309 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2017
Delicious and Easy to Make-I love this recipe and would not change a thing. It is critical not to overcook the shrimp or scallops or you will miss out on their delectable textures. I love how each ingredient plays its part without overwhelming the others and the texture is indeed rich and creamy. I made it twice last year and am looking forward to making it for dinner tonight as there is a chill in the air. A warmed artisanal bread iwith Irish butter is the best go-with.
Dec 14, 2015
We loved it! I made some changes: used 4 poblano peppers in place of the orange bell pepper, leftover russet baked potatoes instead of the red potatoes, leftover Mahi Mahi for the fish, half-and-half instead of regular milk and I actually forgot to add the cheese! I did stir in 1cup extra milk and 1cup extra broth; adjust to taste. Added about 3-4 tablespoons of butter and about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Oh, and since I was out of celery I stirred in about a teaspoon of celery seeds. LOL!!! It really looks like I took a lot of liberties here! But the result was excellent and we'll definitely make this again when we have leftover seafood.
Nov 30, 2011
Very filling and delicious! My 7 yr old and 3 yr old loved it! As did The Hubs!
Jan 26, 2011
SO yummy! Didn't have any scallops, so just used extra shrimp. So easy, but seems like you fussed. Extra-crispy bacon is perfect for garnish. Yum yum yum.