Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, mushrooms, parsley, garlic and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with butter. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta and Parmesan cheese. Stir into rigatoni mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish; top with tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 356 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Sep 15, 2015
Added Italian sausage. Very good!
Oct 14, 2013
Would this fit in a 13-in x 9-in dish. I did not see size of dish specified. Apologies if I missed it
Jul 4, 2011
We really liked this! We used a 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni. Highly recommend!~ Theresa
Jan 4, 2010
I made this for the first time with tomatoes with green chilis as that was all I had. I also added a layer of ground meat before I added the sauce. Everyone absolutely loved it. Later on I made again with recipe as is and it did taste like it was missing something, very bland. Try it the way I made it the first time and you too will be a fan.
Dec 26, 2009
This was okay. The sauce smells fantastic simmering on the stove, but the final product seemed to lack something. All in all a comforting meal on a cold winter day.
Sep 12, 2009
to replace the ricotta cheese i use cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. i mix them together to to taste and it really good and not stronge.dee knightst.albans, wv
Sep 10, 2009
cottage cheese...but whats not to like!!!
Sep 10, 2009
What can we replace for the ricotta cheese if you don't like it?
Sep 10, 2009
Add some italian sausage and hamburger meat for a little extra flavor
Feb 8, 2009
Family really did not like this one..not much flavor. I will not be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.