Who can resist cheesy pasta hot from the oven? This ooey-gooey rigatoni mac and cheese boasts a homemade white sauce. —Shirley Foltz, Dexter, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Swiss, fontina, mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1/4 cup Romano cheese until melted.
- Drain rigatoni; stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and Romano cheeses. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 362 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Five Cheese Rigatoni in Country Woman Christmas 2011