Italian Sausage Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the rice, basil, soup, water and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 3-cup baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 442 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1531mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
May 18, 2015
This is really good. I doubled the recipe, but realized I didn't have two cans of tomato soup. I added a can of tomato juice and eliminated the water to keep the integrity of the dish. It turned out perfectly. I will use this recipe again for a nice, quick meal.
Feb 19, 2014
I just made this recipe and it was so good! I added some broccoli and kale and used cheddar cheese since I had no mozzarella on hand. The next time I think I will add some sort of spice and mushrooms.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.