- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Combine the egg, ricotta and parsley.
- Spread 1/4 cup sauce in an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Trim noodles to fit dish. Layer a third of the noodle pieces over sauce; top with a third of the remaining sauce, a third of the ricotta mixture and 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover; bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
1 piece: 496 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein.