Sausage-Rice Phyllo Casserole
I created this recipe to use ingredients I had stocked in my kitchen. You can mix up the herbs and spices to fit any taste. Add rosemary or cayenne to give it a little more kick. —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chardonnay or chicken broth
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 4-1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Add garlic, basil and oregano to skillet; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add chardonnay, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, carrot, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, garlic powder, paprika and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Cool. Discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir peas into sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine rice, green onions and parsley. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the rice mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, sausage mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup Romano cheese. Top with remaining rice and cheeses.
- Unroll phyllo dough. Layer 5 sheets of phyllo on top of filling, brushing each with oil. Brush remaining 5 phyllo sheets with oil, crumple gently and place on top of casserole.
- Bake until golden and crisp, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To Make Ahead: Recipe may be made a day in advance. After assembling casserole, cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 451 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1085mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 10, 2019
I am giving this 5 stars; however, my finished product was nothing like this! I had to substitute chicken for the sausage because family doesn't like this kind of sausage.