Sausage-Rice Phyllo Casserole
I created this recipe to use up the ingredients I had stocked in my cupboards. You can mix up the herbs and spices to fit any taste. Add rosemary or cayenne to give it a little more kick. —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chardonnay or chicken broth
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 4-1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Add garlic, basil and oregano to skillet; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add chardonnay, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, carrot, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, garlic powder, paprika and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir peas into sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine rice, green onions and parsley. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the rice mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, sausage mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup Romano cheese. Top with remaining rice and cheeses.
- Unroll phyllo dough. Layer five sheets of phyllo on top of filling, brushing each with oil. Brush remaining five phyllo sheets with oil, crumple gently and place on top of casserole.
- Bake until golden and crisp, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 451 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1085mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Italian Hot Sausage and Rice Phyllo Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.