Sausage Phyllo Rolls
My brother shared his recipe for appetizer rolls with me years ago, and they’ve been a family favorite ever since. The delicate phyllo dough wraps around a hearty sausage filling.—Katty Chiong, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in walnuts, cranberries, sugar, pepper and cayenne. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush lightly with butter. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Arrange 1/3 cup spinach, a fourth of the sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon roasted peppers in a narrow row across bottom of phyllo within 1 in. of edges. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Brush end of phyllo dough with butter and press to seal. Repeat three times. Place rolls on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 1-in. pieces (do not separate). Brush tops with remaining butter; brush again with beaten egg. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 50 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Phyllo Rolls Delight in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.