Sausage Florentine Shepherd’s Pie
In this Italian take on traditional shepherd’s pie, sausage takes the place of ground beef (or lamb), and spinach replaces the green veggies. Zesty tomatoes, Italian cheese blend and garlicky mashed potatoes make this dish incredibly long on flavor, even though the ingredient list is short. —Leah Lyon, Ada, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated garlic mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes; drain. Stir in tomatoes, spinach and 2 cups cheese.
- Pour sausage mixture into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; top evenly with mashed potatoes. Bake 20 minutes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and top begins to brown, about 20 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Like a little more spice in your life? Substitute your favorite hot Italian sausage for the mild version.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 540 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1439mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Sausage Florentine Shepherd’s Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018