Zippy Chicken and Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 skinned rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 6 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- In a stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and paprika until blended.
- Add potatoes; stir in broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, corn, sauces and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, until corn is tender, 4-6 minutes. Add milk; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 351 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 16, 2018
Very good and very easy to make! Will definitely be making this chowder again.
Sep 27, 2016
I had to leave out the Tabasco because we are out, so I am not sure I can rate this quite fairly. As it was, I was not impressed and won't make it again. Not terrible, just not remarkable.
Sep 26, 2016
Very good chowder!! I did have to add more milk at the end because mine got really thick. I also used a jalopeno pepper for more zip!
Sep 6, 2016
I just knew I would love this chowder, but far too much for just me.... so I asked one of my daughters if her family would like some. So, we split it up and everyone raved. I did spice it up a bit.. we like "spicy!:
Sep 2, 2016
I chose to make this a Meatless Chowder. The Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce were both wonderful additions. I have a similar recipe that adds cheese, so I did do the same to this recipe. I know my family and they would have been asking me "Where's the cheese?"
Aug 30, 2016
Such a great comforting soup and so easy to make! I did not have chicken on hand, so I left that out (obviously) :) and I also left out the hot sauce. I love a little kick, but I wasn't sure how the kids would respond. Even with those key ingredients gone, the soup could stand on it's own. I did however add a little more milk. I like my chowder a little on the creamy side. I like the idea the other reviewer had of using light cream. That would definitely give it a nice creamy finish. Great family recipe!
Aug 19, 2016
My "across-the-street" neighbor, Carolee, made this delicious soup .... followed the recipe exactly. I must say, it was quite good!! She used fresh corn off the cob, which, I think, gave it a nice fresh, sweet taste and the Worcestershire and hot sauce added just the right amount of heat. The only thing I would do different is use light cream to finish it off instead of 2% milk! I highly recommend this comforting soup!!
Aug 17, 2016
Really tasty and comforting! This will be on my winter rotation of soups. After being outside in the snow and cold, this soup will warm us up!