Sunday Dinner Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until very tender, 20-25 minutes; drain well.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add the sour cream, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, onion salt and pepper; beat until fluffy.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with the remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 300 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 24, 2019
These are a staple at Thanksgiving! I warm mine in a crock pot instead of baking them. Saves room in my oven for other things and they stay warm!
Oct 26, 2019
My 4 year old refused to eat mashed potatoes until he had this version. The cream cheese adds a nice flavor and texture. We usually don't bake these - still delicious.
Oct 14, 2019
Love that these can be made ahead. It’s one less thing to do on the day of a big turkey dinner! They are delicious! I made just half the recipe as there’s only 4 of us for dinner! Easy peasy.
Feb 19, 2016
This has become our favorite mashed potato recipe for holiday meals. So good.
Mar 14, 2015
These are my grandson's favorite potatoes. There are never any left. The only thing I changed was I use the golden potatoes. Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Aug 7, 2013
Tasty. Creamy. Easy. Quite the combination that makes this recipe a welcome addition to the kitchen arsenal.
Dec 22, 2011
Yuuuum! These were awesome.
Oct 1, 2011
I've been using this recipe for quite a few years. Whenever I'm having guests I make these potatoes a day or two ahead. Who wants to be mashing potatoes at the last minute when you're making the gravy, vegetables, etc? Another plus is that they keep their smooth consistency when reheating.
Apr 21, 2011
Definately my favorite mashed potato recipe...perfect even without baking them.
Feb 4, 2011
We always make these mashed potatoes. We don't use a dutch oven and they still turn out just fine. I've even not baked them in the oven and they still turn out great.