Italian Sausage Cacciatore
This is one of my husband's favorite meals. I came up with this recipe after sampling a similar dish in a restaurant. This one is just as good.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 medium green or sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links link (about 1/4 pound), casing removed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 15 slices pepperoni, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked linguine orfettuccine
- In a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Crumble sausage into skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, pepperoni, oregano, basil and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and olives. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1138mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Cacciatore in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.