Pork Chop Cacciatore
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 cups cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chops in oil in batches. Transfer to a 4-or 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and green pepper in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, 1/4 cup water, basil and remaining salt; pour over chops.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until pork is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices if necessary; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop with 3/4 cup noodles and 1/2 cup sauce : 371 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Feb 16, 2014
Great recipe! I used a 1 1/2 # pork tenderloin that I browned and cut into 4 equal pieces. I baked the dish in a Dutch oven for 4 hours at 250 degrees.had to add one cup of chicken broth because it thickened a bit more than I wanted. I dissolved the corn starch into the chicken broth and it thickened up perfectly. Served with quinoa.
Feb 11, 2013
We liked the flavor, and I will make again.
Jan 29, 2013
This smelled amazing and tasted really good too! We made this for guest and it was enjoyed by all
Dec 29, 2011
I totally agree that the cooking time is way too long; I did it for about 4 hours on low. Also added about1/2 cup dry red wine and it was excellent.
Aug 9, 2011
These pork chops were delicious for such a simple recipe. The sauce had lots of flavor. I also cooked them for less time, about 6 hours; my pork chops were on the thinner side. I served it with egg noodles, but mashed potatoes would be great too.
Jul 14, 2011
We really liked this - made a mistake with the water, added all (1/2 cup) at the 1/4 point, but thought adding the cornstarch to 1/4 cup of the juices was more flavorable. cooked for 7 1/2 hrs.and the pork was falling off the bone. Also, my husband asked for Mashed potatoes instead of noodles and mixed in some of the sauce with them!
Mar 21, 2011
I made similar years and years ago. I put a layer of rice on the bottom of a pyrex pan, browned the chops and layed them on top of the rice; topped all with my veggie sauce on top, covered with foil and baked in a 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes. No muss, no fuss, super easy.
May 7, 2010
Wonderful flavor. Be careful with the length of time in the slow cooker. 2 to 3 hours may suffice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.