Pressure-Cooker Italian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Enjoy all the flavors of Italian sausage sandwiches with this healthier alternative. —Lia Dellario, Middleport, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. + releasing
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium green or sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine fennel seed, steak seasoning and cayenne if desired. Cut roast in half. Rub seasoning mixture over pork. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown a roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining pork. Press cancel.
- Return all to pressure cooker. Add peppers, onions, tomatoes and water. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 45 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. A thermometer inserted in pork should read at least 145°.
- Remove roast; shred with two forks. Strain cooking juices; skim fat. Return cooking juices, vegetables and pork to pressure cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, serve pork mixture on buns. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.