Creamy Lentils with Kale Artichoke Saute
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 16 cups chopped fresh kale (about 12 ounces)
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 cups hot cooked brown or basmati rice
- Place first four ingredients and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add kale and remaining salt; cook, covered, until kale is wilted, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add artichoke hearts, garlic and Italian seasoning; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Serve lentils and kale mixture over rice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 321 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 3, 2018
We really wanted to “like” this but couldn’t get past the smell. It was a big waste of time and ingredients.
Feb 11, 2018
My husband was very skeptical about dinner when I told him what I was making, but he ended up loving this. It's a great vegetarian main course...filling, with lots of flavor, protein, and veggies.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.