Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kale; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until lentils and kale are tender. Remove bay leaf. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 339 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1007mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 15, 2016
A real winner! I'm glad I doubled it because we all loved it!
Jan 5, 2016
Made this stew last night for the first and not the last time! My whole family loved it! I did not have vegetable broth on hand so made beef broth with Better than Bouillon reduced sodium beef base. I also added more roasted peppers because we like them so much. Great recipe and really healthy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.