Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 8-10 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kale; cook until lentils and kale are tender, 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 339 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1007mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 15, 2016
A real winner! I'm glad I doubled it because we all loved it!
Jan 5, 2016
Made this stew last night for the first and not the last time! My whole family loved it! I did not have vegetable broth on hand so made beef broth with Better than Bouillon reduced sodium beef base. I also added more roasted peppers because we like them so much. Great recipe and really healthy!