Carrot and Kale Vegetable Saute
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups peeled cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add carrots and squash to drippings; cook, covered over medium heat 5 minutes. Add poblano pepper and onion; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes and kale; cook, covered, until kale is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Top with bacon.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 101 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2018
This recipe is fantastic! I did add a little sea salt. Not only did it taste great it is very healthy and beautiful with all of its vibrant colors. I can’t wait to make it again for my oldest son who is very health conscious. I just know he and his girlfriend are going to love it.
Jan 7, 2018
This was my first time trying butternut squash. I thought this recipe was delicious. Such a colorful dish.