Garlic Tilapia with Spicy Kale
We make this main dish and side together, and adjust the heat from the red pepper flakes depending on who's at the table. —Tara Cruz, Kersey, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic, fennel and pepper flakes; cook and stir 1 minute. Add kale and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle tilapia with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic salt. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add tilapia; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
- Add beans, salt and remaining pepper to kale; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with tilapia.
Health Tip: Almost half of Americans don’t get enough vitamin A. One serving gives you three times the daily recommendation for this immune-boosting vitamin.