Italian Chicken Cordon Bleu
Streamline any weeknight with this pretty main dish full of pleasing flavors. Chop the pepper ahead and pick up sliced mushrooms, and you’ll have this microwaved in moments. —Laura Mahaffey, Annapolis, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place butter and sage in a microwave-safe 11x7-in. dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Place chicken in dish; turn to coat. Top with green pepper and mushrooms. Cook, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, turning and rearranging chicken twice.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Add the tomato sauce, sugar and seasonings to cooking juices; mix well. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until heated through. Return chicken to the dish; top with ham, cheese and green pepper mixture. Cook on high for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with rice if desired.