Beef and Bean Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, beans, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. Stir in the beef, garlic powder, pepper flakes and pepper.
- Spoon into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 2, 2012
This tastes good, but it needs more spices. I added chili powder to mine.
Sep 9, 2009
My husband usually approaches new dishes with trepidation and this one was no different. But, he came back for seconds and so did our daughter. I substituted tomato sauce and whole wheat penne and accidentally left out the garlic powder, oy vey. I also halved the recipe. Thumbs up!