Meaty Cornbread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, water and brown gravy mix. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; stir in the bacon bits, pepper and garlic powder. Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cornbread layer comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare country gravy mix according to package directions; serve with casserole.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 447 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1345mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2018
This was sooo good. Family enjoyed it. Didn't add bacon. Added chilies instead. Doubled the batch because we had some hungry painters in the house. (My daughter and friends painting her bedroom). Also I used ground turkey instead of beef. Kept the sausage in. I will definitely keep this recipe!! Thank you for sharing!
Apr 3, 2016
I thought the recipe was just great.But what I did to adjust it was use lean top siriloin ground beef.Then I used50%lesssodiumbrowngravymixandreduced sodium real bacon pieces,so it would not have as much sodium.All of which I bought at Walmart except for the meat and pork sausage which I got at a natural foods store in Roseville,Ca. Called Sprouts.And it came out just as great and good tasting even with the less sodium. And lean meat.
Feb 21, 2014
Very good, was enough for two meals for my husband and I. I did not use the white gravy mix, nor the bacon bits but next time I might use 2 brown gravy mix to make it a bit thicker
Feb 17, 2014
Both of the gravy mixes have huge amounts of salt in them. Make your own or, alternatively, use only one of them. Frankly, the corn, the corn bread/muffin mix and the bacon bits ALL contain salt too. 1,345 mg. of sodium PER SERVING of this casserole is OUTRAGEOUS!
Jan 20, 2014
Quick, easy and delicious. Will definitely make again.
Jan 24, 2012
My husband really enjoyed this and I made a few changes to make it healthier. I did not use sausage, but a little more lean beef, I also did not use the gravy on top at the end - it was perfect without this addition. I did add some seasoning to spice it up a bit and paired it with a large salad and carrots. Great!
Jan 3, 2012
Very Good! My family rated it as a "keeper". I didn't have an envelope of country gravy so I searched "country gravy recipe" on-line and found a recipe that worked great.
Dec 6, 2011
This is an awesome dish. I did not add all the pepper or bacon bits to the cornbread and served the gravy on the side since I knew that we would have leftovers. My husband actually asked for leftovers for dinner the next day.
Nov 13, 2011
We liked this recipe---good comfort food. I forgot to get the frozen corn so used canned "Mexi Corn" in the same amount and liked it very much. This recipe is EASY which is perfect for my style of cooking!
Oct 17, 2011
Really unique and delicious! I used all hamburger instead of half sausage/half hamburger. Instead of bacon, I added a can of green chiles to the cornbread. Very good!