Butter Chicken Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon tandoori masala seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 jar (14.1 ounces) butter chicken sauce
- Combine the first seven ingredients plus 2 tablespoons cilantro; mix lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs in a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Pour butter sauce over meatballs.
- Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are cooked through, 3-4 hours. Top with remaining cilantro.
- Freeze option: Omitting remaining cilantro, freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary. To serve, sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Editor's NoteLook for garam masala in the spice aisle.
To make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 40 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 3, 2017
Although I'm not a big fan of dishes that are heavy on curry flavoring, I thought the flavoring in this dish was perfect! Family of four loved it. I used the Target Butter Chicken sauce (2 jars) and had 2 pounds of ground chicken for the meatballs. I also had to sub coriander for the cilantro at the last minute but will try with cilantro next time. For the garam masala and tandoori masala spices rather than hunt all over I used a website called myspicesage that has reasonable prices (and free samples with an order). I ran out of time in the afternoon and used the slow cooker on High for about 2 1/2 hours and came out great. Next time I might brown or bake the meatballs in advance. There will definitely be a next time!
Feb 18, 2017
These meatballs are delicious and very easy to make. I've not had many “Indian” recipes and this one will be on my list of keepers. I did use the dry packet of Butter Chicken mix and added low sodium tomato sauce. Substituted flat leaf parsley for the cilantro. Served it with brown basmati rice the first time and will enjoy the leftovers homemade naan. PS: I also served some of the meatballs with a side of broccoli & cauliflower "rice"...delicious!
Feb 5, 2017
I did have a bit of trouble finding the seasonings - butter chicken sauce was sold at target but i went to a specialty store to get the other mixes. This was easy to put together and the meatballs had a nice texture.
Jan 30, 2017
Becky6926 as the Editors Note above states, Butter Chicken Sauce will be found with the Indian foods. The Tandoori Marsala will either be with the spices or in the Indian section as well.
Jan 30, 2017
Where do I find Butter Chicken Sauce? I've never heard of it. What about tandoori Marsala Seasoning?