Smoky Peanut Butter Chili
I eliminated beans from my standard chili recipe and added peanut butter and peanuts just for fun. Wow, it was amazing! Tried it on my family and they all loved it. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or canola oil
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Shredded smoked cheddar cheese and chopped peanuts, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add beef and cook in batches 7-10 minutes, or until no longer pinking, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain. Add green pepper, onion and carrot; cook and stir until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer meat, vegetables and drippings to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the next seven ingredients until combined. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, about 4 hours. If desired, sprinkle with shredded cheese and peanuts.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 279 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Chili Without Beans in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.