This chili is incredibly easy to make, and has a surprising depth of flavor—it tastes like chilis that take all day to create! I can make this for people who like it hot or mild just by changing the salsa. You can make it really spicy if you add hot peppers and hot salsa. —Bonnie Altig, North Pole, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each ) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each ) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup water or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: Corn chips, sliced jalapeno peppers and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.