As soon as hunting season begins here, you can find this spicy chili brewing in our kitchen. It's a great way to warmly welcome folks in from the cold.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes14-18 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- In a 6-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, brown bratwurst; drain. Remove and thinly slice; return to pan along with beef, onion and green pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and onion is tender; drain. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 212 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Hunter's Chili in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook