One pot and thirty minutes—yes, please. Kids and grown-ups love this warm-you-up chili for Halloween. —Janice Westmoreland, Brooksville, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 round blue tortilla chips, halved
- 12 triangular blue tortilla chips
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add beans, tomatoes, water, chilies, seasoning mix and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring frequently.
- Top each serving with two halved round tortilla chips and one triangular tortilla chip inserted vertically into the chili between the round halves to resemble a witch's hat. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as 30-Minute Chili in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014