Sally’s West Coast Chili
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Brown beef in drippings. Add onions; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return bacon to pan. Stir in the next 12 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with cheddar cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 264 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2009
If you like barbecue, this is the chili for you! I will be making this again.I made this for a chili cook-off at work. It didn't win with the judge because it "didn't taste like traditional chili", but it was a crowd favorite. Lots of coworkers asked for the recipe.I don't own a Dutch oven, so I made it in a 5.5 qt saute pan and it worked great.