Butter Bean Veggie Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until soup is heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 109 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 17, 2020
I've had this recipe in my rotation for many years.....I definitely pull it out if I have carrots and celery I need to use up! Sometimes I use chicken stock rather than broth if I have it on hand. I've also made it with cannellini beans, and it was just as good!
Apr 7, 2015
I've been making this for years, and it's always so comforting, hearty and delicious. It's a great way to clean out the crisper drawer too!
Sep 19, 2013
I added 2 cloves garlic with other veggies and a couple handfuls of chopped raw Kale in the simmering process at the end. I had made this by the recipe the first time and thought it needed more spices. Now I add a tablespoon of Emeril's essence and a tablespoon of soul seasoning and its delish.
Nov 7, 2012
This was better than expected! I used a 1 pound bag of frozen butter beans (thawed in the refrigerator) and a can of diced tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes. Quite tasty!~ Theresa
Nov 7, 2012
I have made this delicious soup several times. The only thing I change is adding about 1/2 tsp of minced garlic when I saute the veggies. This is a very healty, low calorie and down right tasty soup. Thank you Dorothy!
May 6, 2010
easy to make. great taste. best veg soup i ever made.