Summer Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled red potato
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in celery leaves and tomato paste. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 210 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1128mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein.
Aug 15, 2016
I loved this soup and only gave it 4 stars because I modified it and didn't stick with the recipe "as written". I added a little orange pepper, garlic with the onion, chopped celery instead of leaves, 1/4 tsp. ground mustard, 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning, and sprinkled a little cooked bacon on top because I was hungry for bacon. I also skipped the tomato paste. I love recipes like this that allow the cook to interchange vegetables to personal preference and I agree that the turmeric gives it a great flavor and color! I'll keep this one for sure!
Aug 31, 2015
Tumeric gives broth a nice flavor.
Aug 26, 2015
Very tasty. I love the idea of using my veggies from my garden. Nice and fresh, smells great cooking on the stove.
Aug 25, 2015
I made this as directed except that I used chick peas instead of white beans, and I used fresh herbs from my garden for the seasoning. Next time I will make it a little spicier but it was delicious. I like it cold on hot , humid summer days.
Jul 31, 2014
Delicious! I made this soup for meatless Monday. I followed the recipe to a T and It was a big hit. I will make this again and again. Thanks!
Jul 27, 2014
We had this for dinner tonight. Delish!!!!
Jul 27, 2014
Great soup! Used canned petite tomatoes & frozen mixed vegetables in place of of tomato & green beans. Didn't have any turmeric but added minced garlic to onions. Delicious will make again.
Jul 23, 2014
this looks great and I'm going to try it today ... but I want to know if it will freeze well for enjoying this fall/winter???? I'll upgrade my review after trying the recipe ... :)
Jul 21, 2014
Great summer veggie soup! I omitted potatoes and added thin sliced carrots. Then 10 mins before done added baby shell pasta. Delicious!
Jul 21, 2014
Seriously anybody who doesn't read how people change/add/delete things from a recipe is losing out I get a lot of good ideas from people who share their changes they made.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.