Navy Bean Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
Makes12-14 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and discard liquid; return beans to pan. Add the broth, water, ham bone, squash, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone. Mash the soup mixture, leaving some chunks if desired. remove ham from bone; cut into chunks. Discard bone and fat. Return meat to the soup; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2014
Wonderful flavor. The butternut squash gives it a hint of sweetness. Soup was quick and easy to make and very filling. Will definately make it again.
Jan 25, 2013
We loved this soup!!! Delicous!!!!
Dec 10, 2012
Fantastic soup. Sometimes simple is best. I was surprised how flavorful this soup was, and the butternut squash makes it beautiful too. I used great northern beans instead of the navy beans.
Dec 28, 2011
Wow,it started out for supper but was ready by noon and will gone by supper.The only change was added some mashed potatoes left overs in.
Jan 3, 2010
The taste was wonderful, but I had to add more liquid while it cooking to keep it from getting to dry. Other than that, it was perfect. Next time I will start when more broth.