Hearty Pasta Fagioli
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes24 servings (7-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 celery ribs, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add broth, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, onions, celery, carrots, beans, oregano, pepper and pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add pasta and parsley; simmer, covered, until pasta is tender, 10-14 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 212 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 11, 2020
One of our favorite soups. Very hardy. Makes great left overs as well.
May 6, 2020
Love this soup. It made a ton and was easy to put together. I recommend doubling the pasta. And maybe even adding another can of beans. I will definitely make again.
Apr 21, 2020
Best soup ever
Jan 6, 2020
My soup turned out fantastic. A little spicy, a little bit thick, and very tasty. Added mild italian sausage for half the ground beef. Added some sliced mushrooms with the pasta. Adjusted the seasonings at the end, and added a bit more tabasco, salt and pepper. Topped the soup with fresh grated parm and served with crusty bread. Delicious. Only made half the recipe, and it made a huge amount.
Dec 14, 2019
Very good soup, this makes a lot of soup . Next time I will half the recipe. Very filing
Sep 8, 2019
Great recipe! Made by the recipe this time but will up the salt and pepper sauce a bit next time to bump up the spice a bit.
Apr 13, 2019
Made half the recipe. Added 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of sugar and 2 t (10 ml) of salt. A keepsake recipe for the colder months.
Mar 16, 2019
Love it!!! Made a couple of little changes as it did not really need many. Made it yesterday and had it with my bread maker buttermilk bread. So good it is supper again tonight. There is only us two of old farts so I made a half batch. Now I have some for the freezer for a lazy day. We still have snow on the ground so it is soup season. Thank You Wayne
Apr 13, 2018
i added extra canned beans
Mar 24, 2018
This soup is so good...just finished making for dinner and all I can say is delish!!!