Pasta Fagioli Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut as desired
- 5 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until macaroni is tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 228 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2019
I've made this recipe "as is" ( just some Italian seasoning ) many times and we've always enjoyed it. That said, the last time I made it I had a container of Trader Joe's Mirepoix that I needed to use, so in it went. And, I only had hot Italian pork sausage, so in it went. Had cannellini beans not Navy, so in they went. Then I added a second can of the chicken broth, some Italian seasoning and the rest of the ingredients called for ( eliminated the onion because there seemed like enough in the Mirepoix ). Honestly, it was delicious. I might just continue with my "kitchen clean-up version" -- lol.
Feb 13, 2019
Made the soup last week. Substituted sweet Italian sausage for the turkey. Very good. Even hubby liked it!
Feb 11, 2019
Loved it and it was so easy to make!
Oct 29, 2016
I have made this soup many times and love it. I do cut the pasta in half and it is still a very substantial soup!
Jan 19, 2016
Delicious! It is a very light soup. I regret not making a double batch as there were no leftovers.
Nov 4, 2015
Raves from everyone I serve this soup to. It's delicious and easy to prepare. I've made it exactly to the recipe and it's terrific. But I personalize it by using Italian Sweet Sausage and adding 1 teaspoon of basil and a few sprinkles of Italian seasoning. I would recommend maybe doubling the chicken broth, especially if you are making enough to have leftovers. So, so good. I've made this several times and it's a winner every time! Have a small bowl left in the refrigerator right now!
Oct 22, 2015
This is so simple, it's hard to believe it could be so good. I did make some changes. I try to eat gluten-free and used a GF penne pasta I had on hand. I used more spinach, cannellini beans, dried Italian seasoning and 2 large cloves of garlic. Next time I will double the recipe and use more chicken broth—I want some leftovers! I can't wait!
Jul 1, 2015
I made this delicious soup last night and we loved it. At first my husband turned his nose up at it but after a couple of bites, he cleaned his bowl and wanted more. I did add one chopped carrot and used Ditalini pasta (a small tubular pasta) and added some Italian seasoning at the end as I felt it was a little bland but taste it for yourself and see. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Mar 4, 2015
Very good. I recommend doubling the water & chicken broth. Used penne instead of macaroni as that was what I had on-hand.
Jan 7, 2014
Used small shells instead of macaroni, also used 3 cloves of garlic and a couple of chopped carrots. From the garden, I added 2 -4" sprigs of rosemary, some fresh sage leaves, and a bay leaf, and removed them all before serving. The flavor was great. Yay for healthy, easy dinners!