Hearty Ribs and Beans
"Everyone likes this tasty meal-in-a-dish," reports Marlene Muckenhirn, a field editor from Delano, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds country-style pork spareribs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- Place ribs in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Drain, reserving liquid; skim fat. Set ribs aside.
- Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 cup; place in a saucepan. Add the tomato sauce, soup mix, brown sugar, mustard and hot sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes; reserve 1/2 cup.
- To the remaining sauce, add the beans, celery and red pepper. Pour into the baking dish; add ribs. Pour reserved sauce over ribs. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 472 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Ribs and Beans in Taste of Home February/March 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.