Contest-Winning Curried Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) DOLE pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside 1 cup pineapple and 3 tablespoons juice (refrigerate remaining pineapple and juice for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, celery, almonds, raisins, green onions and reserved pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and reserved juice. Gently stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 337 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Jul 18, 2015
Excellent! Made a trial run of this recipe today--will definitely be taking to a family reunion next week!
Jun 21, 2012
I lost my copy of this and was so glad to find it on your site. It will adapt to lots of things, including shrimp, or stand alone as a side. Can add sugar snap peas..., use yogurt instead of mayo, an the list goes on. A real keeper.
Jun 9, 2011
<p>My mom first served this salad, or one much like it, in the late 1960s. Her version used pecans instead of almonds, and had 1/3 c. flaked coconut instead of raisins. Delicious! So far, I've yet to hear anybody make a negative comment!</p>