Contest-Winning Curried Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside 1 cup pineapple and 3 tablespoons juice (refrigerate remaining pineapple and juice for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, celery, almonds, raisins, green onions and reserved pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and reserved juice. Gently stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 337 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2015
Excellent! Made a trial run of this recipe today--will definitely be taking to a family reunion next week!
Jun 21, 2012
I lost my copy of this and was so glad to find it on your site. It will adapt to lots of things, including shrimp, or stand alone as a side. Can add sugar snap peas..., use yogurt instead of mayo, an the list goes on. A real keeper.
Jun 9, 2011
<p>My mom first served this salad, or one much like it, in the late 1960s. Her version used pecans instead of almonds, and had 1/3 c. flaked coconut instead of raisins. Delicious! So far, I've yet to hear anybody make a negative comment!</p>