Contest-Winning Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain. Place in a large bowl; add eggs, celery and onions.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Dec 23, 2019
Wasn't sure at first how sour cream would work in potato salad but it was really good.
Jun 14, 2019
I'm an old southern woman and this is hands down, the best recipe ever! The only change I made was adding a little dill weed. Perfect.
May 29, 2018
Apr 22, 2018
Delicious!!!!!!!! I substituted sweet pickle relish instead of vinegar. This recipe is a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 14, 2018
Great potato salad! This recipe reminds me a lot of the potato salad I get at McAlister's. Has a nice crunch, and is slightly tangy. 2/14/18
Sep 5, 2017
Excellent recipe as is and deserving of blue ribbon. It is a good basic recipe that can serve as a platform for individual taste tweaks. This is almost the recipe I grew up with, in fact I like this one a tad bit more. The texture is creamy AND crunchy which to me is essential.
Sep 5, 2017
Delicious. We like the combination of the Sour Cream and Mayonnaise. I sometimes increase the egg and add chopped Green or Red peppers. A keeper!
Apr 30, 2017
This was good. I eliminated the sugar and the sour cream. Had someone who was lactose intolerant here for dinner. It still tasted good. Will make again the same way. Thanks for the recipe.
Jan 26, 2017
Found this recipe when I had a luncheon day after New Years and I was serving ham sandwiches leftover from baked ham. Delicious. Could have eaten it all myself. Didn't have sour cream on hand so used all mayonnaise. Came out fine. Nice combination of tart and sweet seasonings. Went very well with ham sandwiches.
Oct 6, 2016
Simple and tasty. Very easy to make for a week night side dish.